Incredible Meatballs

Pin It
My version of Incredible Meatballs!

 My sister, Carol, posted a recipe for baked meatballs on her Pinterest page which I repined and put at the top of my list to make for dinner.  

Pinterest Incredible Baked Meatballs
This was the recipe posted with Carol's PIN (Incredible Baked Meatballs. 1lb hamburger, 2 eggs, beaten with 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan , 1 cup panko or bread crumbs, 1 small onion, minced, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, freshly ground pepper to taste, 1/4 cup minced fresh basil Mix all ingredients with hands. Form into golf ball sized meatballs. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes).   

Here is the thing I wanted something that I could make ahead of time.  I go to Lida’s evening ice skating practice and like to have dinner made in advance because I don't want to come  home late from her practice and then have to make dinner for the family late in the evening.  I was concerned to make them ahead of time by baking them.  I thought they would get dried out.  So, I made a few adjustments to the recipe (I added some mild Italian sausage and a few more ingredients more consistent with how I make my meatloaf).  I then lightly browned my meatballs in a pan with some olive oil (instead of baking them).  The meatballs came out DELISH!  

Gently mix all the ingredients.

Form the mixture into golf ball size meatballs.

Here is the cookie scoop I used (make it a heaping cookie scoop)

Brown the meatballs.  Do not cook them through.  They will finish cooking in the sauce later.

Here are my meatballs ... all browned and ready to be cooked in the sauce.

OMG I get a subscription to Rachel Ray magazine.  A few years back she put out an article with BEST Marinara Sauces.  Fracesco Rinaldi Traditional was at the top of her list for grocery store sauces.  I love this sauce and guess how much it costs?  $2.99 a jar!!! Yes, and sometimes you can get 2 for 1.  I keep a few of these in my pantry at all times.

Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
 INCREDIBLE MEATBALLS

1 pound ground beef 80/20
1 pound mild Italian sausage
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
¼  cup regular bread crumbs
½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley finely chopped

½ cup milk
1 large egg
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2-3 large dashes of Worcestershire sauce

In a small mixing bowl whisk together the liquid ingredients (milk, egg, garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce)

In a medium mixing bowl add ground beef; sausage; bread crumbs; Parmesan cheese; and flat leaf parsley.  Add whisked wet ingredients to meat mixture and GENTLY mix until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.  Do not over mix because you want your meatballs to be tender and loose … if you over mix they will be very dense. 

Form meatball mixture into golf ball size meatballs.  I use a heaping 1 inch cookie scoop and this makes the task of making the meatballs very easy and fast. 

Now you need to brown meatballs.  Add olive oil to a hot pan (just enough to coat the bottom).  Brown the meatballs on all sides, but do not cook them.  Just get some color on them and set them aside until you have browned all of the meatballs.  This mixture will make about 25 meatballs.

Once all of the balls are browned and set aside crush 2 garlic cloves and add to remaining oil in pan (the oil may be hot – do not burn the garlic)!  Add 2 jars of Rinaldi marinara sauce.  This sauce (for the price) is surprisingly delicious! 

Add the meatballs back to the sauce and simmer meatballs 30 minutes low heat. 

Serve on a toasted hoagie and mozzarella cheese.  I love to build the sandwich and then melt the cheese in the broiler! 

You will love this recipe.  You can make it ahead of time.  These meatballs were even delish reheated the next day for lunch.  Mmmmmm GOOD!!  


Comments